How to obtain a work permit and reside in Sweden, We advise, especially skilled professionals who desire to work and invest in Sweden to plan for obtaining a work permit. In order for you to obtain the work permit, this is the process that you should follow to obtain a work permit and reside in Sweden:

When the applicant is a non-EU national, the person will need a work permit. To obtain a work permit, you must have an offer of employment in Sweden. Your employer must have advertised the job in Sweden and the EU/EEA and Switzerland for at least ten days before the offer of employment was made.

It is important that you have access to the email address you give your employer until you have received a decision regarding your application. The Swedish Migration Agency will use this email address to communicate with you throughout the application period.

When your employer has completed an offer of employment you will receive an email with information about how to apply for a work permit.

In the application you provide information about yourself. If your family is coming with you to Sweden you apply for permits for them at the same time. You should also check that the information about your employment terms in the offer of employment corresponds with what you and your employer have agreed on.

obtain a work permit and reside in Sweden

If your family will accompany you and you are applying for them at the same time, you will also be required to submit the following

  • copies of the pages in their passports which show their personal information, photograph, signature, passport number, passport issuing country, the period of the passport’s validity, bar code on the identification page and whether they have permission to live in countries other than their country of origin.
  • copies of marriage certificates or the equivalent (applies to married couples or registered partners)
  • documents showing that you have lived together in your country of origin (applies to cohabiting partners)
  • birth certificates for children
  • consent from the other custodial parent, if they are not also coming to Sweden, stating that the child is allowed to move to Sweden
  • documents showing that children above the age of 21 are financially dependent on their parents
  • adoption documents if the child was adopted
  • power of attorney if you are representing all members of the family who are over 18 years and who are co-applicants.

The above-mentioned documents should be translated into Swedish or English by an authorized translator. You should always submit both a copy of the original document a copy of the translation.

In most cases you must pay a fee. You can pay using Visa or Mastercard. When the fee is paid you submit your application (2500Kr. For applicant, family adult 1500Kr., and each child 750Kr.). You and your employer will receive an email confirming that your application has been submitted. The Migration Agency will contact you if it needs more information.

Paying at an embassy or consulate-general

If you are applying at an embassy or consulate-general, you pay the fee when you hand in your application. For more information about the fee, contact the embassy or consulate-general where you are applying, as they do not have the same fees and terms of payment as the Migration Agency.


At Maxloyal AB, we can help you in the whole process of, and support your move with your family to Sweden with least trouble, deploying our fast track process. Contact us for more details.